Understanding the 5 Love Languages is Key to Healthy Relationships

I see life and our overall wellbeing as a complex jigsaw puzzle and ‘stressed pieces’ don’t fit together. The key to ‘life’s puzzle’ is to find and fix our Emotional, Physical and Environmental stresses so our pieces can connect again. That’s why I say life is a journey filled with happiness when all our jigsaw pieces work together – The ‘Big 3’ Stress Solutions Puzzle...
— CHARACTER 32
 5-love-languages-healthy-relationships-stress-character-32-stress-management-c32-sydney-australia-wedding

 

They say love speaks from the heart, but what does that really mean? What is love? How do I feel love? It’s an interesting premise don’t you think?

 

My friend and I were chatting about her relationship dramas when she started talking to me about the love languages we speak. For a moment, she had me totally lost?!?

Apparently, there are 5 different ways we like to give and receive love… Did you know this?

After reading about the 5 different love languages I totally understood what she was saying and where she was coming from. The more I thought about it, the more it made sense. I realised just how much emotional stress we put ourselves through in our relationships if we don’t know 'What is Love' or 'Our Partners Love Language'. 

Subconsciously I think I knew this however never really gave it too much thought until that conversation, because at the end of the day we love and are attracted to people regardless of their love language. So, what are these 5 love languages you ask?

 

The Five Love Languages

 

1. Receiving Gifts

Some people feel great amounts of love and joy when they are receiving gifts from their partner. To them, it means their partner is thinking about them and that makes them feel loved, wanted and appreciated.

 

2. Acts of Service

Feeling appreciated and having someone help you makes you feel like your partner cares and loves you. They do things for you around the house, make you dinner, help out where needed, it’s all about them lending a hand because they want to help you.

 

3. Words of Affirmation

When someone tells you things you like to hear, it can make you feel loved and special. You look great, you’re smart, you’re wonderful to be around, you make me laugh, anything that’s a compliment are words of affirmation.

 

4. Quality Time

Going for a walk together, talking, having a romantic dinner, doing anything that’s about the two of you spending ‘quality time’ together without the TV, phone or other disruptions intruding into your quality time.

 

5. Physical Touch

Being touched is a powerful way to communicate love through holding hands, hugging, kissing, or being intimate together. This love language requires little to no thought it just happens. Those who ‘speak physical touch’ as their love language, are fulfilled and happy with a ‘loving’ touch for their partner.

 

Knowing how you give and receive love can reduce a lot of emotional stress in your relationships. Understanding how your partner gives and receives love is key to healthy relationships. It’s imperative to understand how this all works, otherwise, you might as well be speaking in a foreign language because love languages come in different ways…

 

So what does the ‘Big 3’ Stress Solutions Puzzle look like when it comes to Understanding the 5 Love Languages is Key to Healthy Relationships?

 

Personally, I think a little bit of all of the above is a great way to show someone you love them. Yes, we all give and receive love differently, however, if I were to say I want to be loved with physical touch I would want that 80% of the time. The other 20% of the time I’d like that divided up by the other 4 love languages. This creates all round balance and that’s important.

In return, I need to ask my partner what and how they like to be loved. Again, I would focus 80% of the time on their love language (say words of affirmation for example) and the other 20% divided up by the other 4 love languages.

Remember my motto for positive change is ‘Little Puzzle Pieces Create a Big Picture’… Together it’s about working out what you want and need from love in order to feel love, so you can have the loving relationship you want that makes you happy!

Until next time be thoughtful, be mindful, be present. This is Character 32 doing her best to help you!

 

You might also like