Enjoy your exercise! It’s great for the body, mind and soul.
Hi and welcome back I’m Character 32 and I am here to help you!
I see people exercising and sometimes they look so unhappy! Today I saw people walking along the path, head down, no music, they were just staring at the pavement walking along, looking sad, sad, sad. Then there were the two women walking laps up and down of one area, again no music, just staring at the floor, walking their laps and looking sad.
I feel like yelling out to them “People people people you are doing it all wrong!”….
Ok, so I admit I’m not a huge fan of exercising however if it’s something I enjoy then I don’t really think of it as exercise. Take horse riding for example, it makes me forget my problems and I just love being around horses, they can have a very calming effect on me.
Since we moved to Singapore I have not done any horse riding which makes me sad, that being said it’s just too hot here to ride. I have instead taken up my roller-skating again (yes roller-skates) which I loved doing as a child!
I put on my roller-skates, listen to 80’s music and skate my heart out, grooving and dancing on my skates as I ‘exercise’ away. I’m having so much fun that people around me notice my vibrant energy. So many cyclists ride past me and give me the thumbs up, others smile and wave. I don’t care if I look silly to some people because I am enjoying skating, listening to my 80’s music and benefiting my health all at the same time.
Here’s 7 reason why exercise is beneficial for stress relief
1. It releases STRESS! Yes, yes it does! My personal experience growing up as a child was heavily revolved around exercise which I can say from personal experience it helped me immensely with my stress (of which there was a lot!). Exercise helps tackle the 'Big 3’ stresses and it’s had an amazing effect on the body and mind.
2. Exercise releases environmental stress from the body which is key to overall health. Environmental stress builds up in our body which can lead to obesity, digestion issues, inflammation, aches and pains, disease, lack of energy and overall wreak havoc to your health.
3. Exercise creates endorphins and endorphins make us happy! Our brain releases endorphins when we exercise and endorphins make us happy (it’s like a natural high). I think it’s the bodies way of rewarding us for our hard work.
4. Exercise helps combat obesity. When we are eating healthy and exercising we are giving the body the nourishment it needs and helping it flush the environmental stresses away. This makes for a happy and healthy body, which in turn makes for a happier and healthier you!
5. Exercise will help you tackle more daily chores. The fitter you are, the more energy you have so getting through the day is much easier when you are fit.
6. Exercise will help you in the bedroom. When we are fitter we are more comfortable with ourselves and our overall appearance. Therefore, we feel more ‘sexual’ towards our partners. Men who exercise have less erectile dysfunction than men who don’t.
7. Exercise will help you sleep! Yes, to all those people out there who are struggling with sleep then please, please, please try exercise! When you exercise your body becomes tired therefore it allows you to sleep easier.
We all know exercise is good for us that’s just an undeniable fact! However, it’s about finding out what works for you, what you enjoying doing so you don’t feel like you have to ‘exercise’.
First of all, work out if you prefer to exercise in a group, one on one or by yourself. Then you can start to think of exercise is an enjoyable way.
Here’s a list of different types of physical activities which may help you find something you are interested in doing?
- Roller-skating, roller-blading, ice skating
- Golf (walking, stretching and moving)
- Horse riding (overall muscle strength, core muscle strength)
- Archery (for muscle strength)
- Netball, basketball
- Baseball, softball, tee ball
- Yoga (overall muscle strength, core muscle strength)
- Dancing (going out and dancing in clubs, ballroom, rock and roll, ballet etc)
- Walking along the beach (nature and fresh air is added bonus to relieve stress)
- Running (I don’t run, ever, however many people enjoy it)
- Playing pool (8 ball) as you stretch, bend and need balance when playing
- Get a dog (you are forced to walk it every day)
Noticed I haven’t said the gym? For me personally, I'm not a huge fan of the gym (I will only go if it's too cold outside!), it makes me feel like I ‘have to exercise’, sorry to all the people out there who love going to the gym, I am just not one of those people….
So what does the 'Big 3’ Stress Solutions Puzzle look like when it comes to 7 Reasons to Exercise for Stress Relief?
Growing up as a child I endured a great deal of emotional and physical stress as my childhood was different from the ‘normal’. I was always an outsider everywhere I turned so my sports, horse riding and roller-skating gave me something to look forward to.
As a child I played so many sports off and on depending on where I was living, who I was living with and what was happening at home. My emotional and physical stress was very high growing up and exercise was my stress release. I was constantly moving houses and schools which meant I wasn’t able to make friends easily or keep them for that matter. Exercising through school, clubs and groups allowed me to interact with other children, it gave me something to look forward to and help with my emotional stress. In hindsight, I was subconsciously dealing with my some of the emotional stress through exercise as it helped me take my mind off of everything that was going on around me.
When I was playing sport I would be at team practices or games at least 5 days a week. Between school sports and joining different clubs, I was constantly playing sport. For years I played netball, tennis, softball, cricket, danced and socially I would ride horses and roller-skate. I was and still am an active person which I think has helped me through some very rough times in my life as my ‘exercise’ was my way of emotional stress relive.
My motto for positive change is ‘Little Puzzle Pieces Create a Big Picture’… Sometimes it can be fun to just dance around a room with your friends, listening to music you love and getting ‘your groove on’ for a few songs. Changing the way we think of exercise is key to our overall health. It can help tackle ‘The Big 3’ stresses in more ways than you may think (trust me!).
Look at really active people they tend to be happier and healthier. They live longer, enjoy life more, seem less stressed and have a positive attitude. Overall they have learned one of the keys to life secrets is move it and enjoy it because it keeps you youthful.
Until next time be thoughtful, be mindful, be present. This is Character 32 doing her best to help you!